Chicken and Lentils, it’s what slow carbing is all about. Try out this simple recipe and let us know what you think.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken pieces 5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside.
- Place onion in the skillet, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the carrot and garlic. Stir in the lentils and broth, and season with salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cover, and continue cooking 20 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a little water to just moisten.
- Stir tomato sauce into the skillet. Season with rosemary and basil. Continue cooking 10 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir in lemon juice, and serve warm.